Date: April 9, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Kirby Ortiz
Kirby Ortiz, Scholarship Chair of the Hispanic Business Association, today announced the recipients of the 2012 HBA Richard G. Cortez Scholarship Fund Awards. Awards totaling $17,250.00 will be presented to fifteen students from throughout Southwest Idaho.
With a vision of “Rising to Success through Business and Education,” the Hispanic Business Association has awarded scholarships to promising young Hispanic students desiring to continue their education at universities across the nation. With this year’s announcement the HBA has funded almost $280,000 in scholarships to 348 students since 1993 with proceeds from corporate donations and the annual Richard G. Cortez Jalapeno Open Golf Tournament held each summer. This year’s tournament will be held at Falcon Crest Golf Club on Friday, July 27th, 2012.
College/University Recipients Awarded $1,250 each:
* Said Barrero (Nampa) Boise State University Accounting & Finance
* Juan Flores (Caldwell) Boise State University Mech. Engineering
Krista Gaona (Nampa) Warner – Pacific Univ. Psychology
* Alejandra Garcia (Mtn. Home) Boise State University Pre Dental Hygiene
* Diana Gomez Romero (Boise) College of Idaho Biology
Christian Guerrero (Nampa) Boise State University Chem. & Applied Math
* Peter Guerrero (Boise) Boise State University Political Science
* Silvino Jimenez Jr. (Nampa) Boise State University Elec. & Computer Eng.
* Kieran Padilla (Boise) College of Idaho Business/ Fine Arts
* Maximilian Padilla (Boise) University of Utah School of Medicine
* Julian Rodriguez (Rupert) Boise State University Human Resources/Business
* Abdencio Sanchez (Wilder) University of Idaho Computer Engineering
* Indicates previous winner.
High School Recipients Awarded $750 each:
Gillardo Perez Weiser High School Boise State University
Martin Perez Weiser High School Boise State University
Angela Tipton Fruitland High School Gonzaga University