HISPANIC BUSINESS ASSOCIATION
Richard G. Cortez Scholarship
2018 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The Hispanic Business Association (HBA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the improvement of educational opportunities for Hispanic students. Since 1993, the HBA has awarded almost $374,000 in scholarships to 430 students from Idaho and Eastern Oregon for the purpose of pursuing post secondary degrees. This scholarship is open to residents of Idaho and Eastern Oregon only.
A. Awards are made annually. The number of scholarships awarded is determined each year by the HBA’s Board of Directors. Proceeds for this scholarship program come from our annual golf tournament: “The Richard G. Cortez Jalapeño Open”. Scholarship recipients may be asked to participate as a volunteer during the tournament or at our fundraising gala event during 2018.
B. Recipients must enroll for a minimum of 12 credit hours or have full-time status as an undergraduate or graduate student in an accredited post-secondary institution of higher learning.
C. Award recipients are selected based on the following factors:
- Academic performance based on the most recent (1st semester of 2017) official transcript.
- Extracurricular activities/work experience, which reflect leadership, initiative, motivation, etc.
- Recommendations from teachers, business contacts, clergy, etc.
- Academic performance, minimum eligibility of a 2.5 GPA.
- Recipient must be of Hispanic descent.
- Documents to be submitted with this scholarship application:
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Official copy of the most recent transcript (1st semester of 2017).
- List of extracurricular activities and work history in a resume format.
- Essay questions are below.
4. This essay helps us become acquainted with you in ways different from courses, grades, test scores, and other objective data. It will demonstrate your ability to organize thoughts and express yourself.
5. Applications must be postmarked no later that MARCH 2, 2018.
High School Seniors (answer both questions):
- The phrase “Manifest Destiny” was a very popular term used in the mid 1800’s. Although its impact was significantly greater to the indigenous Native American population, what was its relevance to Hispanics living in the West at that time?
- Popular American History recognizes that the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock in 1620 and America was “founded.” What role did Hispanics play in the colonization of America? Where, when and why did they establish a presence in North America?
College Students Essay (answer all):
Your essay questions are:
- Pick a controversial problem on college campuses and suggest a solution.
- Describe your most meaningful achievements and how they relate to your field of study and your future goals.
- What do you consider to be the single most important societal problem? Why?
For any questions about this application or about the Hispanic Business Association, please contact:
Daytime: 208-323-1976 Cell/Evenings: 208-841-1373
To start the application process, launch and complete the following online application form. Once application has been submitted, please submitted the requests above to the address below:
2018 Richard G. Cortez Scholarship Program Application